Turkish Airlines is one of the oldest airlines in the world with 89 years of service. Started back in 1933, It tops the list in many fields of Airlines Services. It is considered as the largest mainline carrier in the world by number of passengers destinations. It serves more destinations from a single airport than any other airline in the world. It is also the top airline in the world in terms of connecting maximum number of countries (126). It connects as many as 315 destinations in Europe, Asia, Africa and the Americas. The Airline also has a large fleet of 377 advanced and young aircrafts. Turkish Airlines’ crew is known for utmost care and dedication towards the passengers. The airline has also earned several accolades and won many awards for its continuous and smooth services around the globe. It has its main hubs at Istanbul Airport (Istanbul) with many operating bases on different locations. Turkish Airlines joined the Star Alliance in 1998 and since then it has been working as an integral member of the alliance. Air Albania, AnadoluJet, SunExpress, Turkish Cargo, Turkish Technic, Turkish DO & CO, Turkish Ground Services, Turkish Airlines Flight Academy, THY OPET, Turkish Engine Center, TCI Cabin Interior, TSI Aviation Seats, Tax Free Zone Inc and We World Express are the subsidiaries of Turkish Airlines. The airline provides excellent on board and ground services with attractive prices and deals.
Frequent Flyer Program
Turkish Airlines runs a frequent-flyer program under the name ‘Miles&Smiles.’ Under this program flyers can earn privilege points that can be redeemed while bookings for different services across different platforms associated with Turkish Airlines. Under this program the airline has created three categories- Classic Plus, Elite and Elite Plus. All the categories provide different benefits to the members. The Miles&Smiles points can be earned by flying with Turkish Airlines, AnadoluJet and other partner airlines.
The Turkish Airlines offers two main travel classes- Economy Class and Business Class. Both of these have different benefits that can be shortly explained as below-
Economy class is offered on all short and long haul flights. You can enjoy comfort seating as there is more legroom (79 cm) and seats can be reclined up to 15 cm with 46 cm seat width. The headrest is 4-way adjustable and armrest is movable to make it more comfortable if you want to sleep. There is a power unit, USB charging port and a 11.3” multimedia display with a number of TV channels, movies, music as well as games to add entertainment to your flying experience. When it comes to food, you can enjoy finest Turkish dishes as well as the famous dishes from the different regions of the world. On some routes they provide an amenity kit that contains a sleep mask, earplug, socks, toothbrush, toothpaste and a lip balm. So an entertaining and comfortable journey is guaranteed when you travel with the Economy Class of Turkish Airlines.
Turkish Airlines’ Business class is all about a luxurious and amazing travel experience. Maximum comfort, award winning meal, VIP lounge experience, preferential check-in and extra baggage allowance are some of the many features of the Turkish Airlines’ Business Class. All the seats are specially designed with distinguished features to provide maximum comfort and convenience to the travelers. All the seats in Business Class cabin are convertible into a 193 cm bed. These beds may expand up to 66 cm of width when its armrests are full stretched. Seats are also equipped with adjustable headrest, comfort cushion and massage feature which can be activated any time through touch control panel. For food and beverages, there is a 51 cm wide rotatable and adjustable tray and a cocktail tray. The seat control is operated by a touch pad interactive display. Universal power outlet, USB power port, personal TV display, exclusive mirror, personal reading lamp and a mirror etc. in-flight catering offers a taste to remember for long time, thanks to the award winning chefs serving throughout the airlines’ network. Tan amenity kit is also provided with multiple useful items. All these things together make The Turkish Airlines’ Business Class a must choose option for the travelers.
Turkish Airlines’ Baggage Policy
Checked or Registered Baggage
Before you travel with a Turkish Airlines’ flight, you should keep the following points in your mind for your checked baggage-
· On routes with piece baggage concept, the maximum weight of 1 piece of baggage is 23 kg for Economy Class and 32 kg for Business Class
• To avoid trouble entering the country you are travelling to, you should make sure that you are not carrying any are restricted or prohibited food items.
• Infant passengers are entitled to a piece of baggage weighing 10 kg on each flight and 23 kg on flights under the piece baggage application. Additionally, strollers that do not exceed 115 cm are allowed on all flights. Child passengers have the same amount of baggage allowance as adult passengers.
• Airline baggage rules are applicable for international flights carried out as an interline with another airline is determined within the framework of the methods of IATA (International Air Transport Association). The practices of the Most Important Carrier (MSC) apply to baggage rights that can be carried within the framework of these rules. The Most Important Carrier (MSC) is usually the longest leg airlines, but there may be some exceptions.
• US DOT (US Department of Transportation) applications are valid on interline flights from/to the United States and CTA (Canada Transportation Agency) applications are valid on interline flights from/to Canada. Accordingly, the rules of the First Marketing Carrier, which makes the first course of your travels to the relevant destination, apply to all travel. This carrier may also choose to apply Most Significant Carrier if it wishes.
• For information regarding the baggage allowance on international flights, please check the lists of regions operated with KG application and regions operated with piece baggage application.
• The piece concept of baggage shall not be applied to domestic flights. For domestic flights, the kilogram concept will continue to be in effect.
Checked Baggage Restricted Items and Allowance:
• Liquid and semi-solid substances in your registered baggage (under the aircraft) that are at risk of leakage, spillage and contamination are only admitted on board with proper packaging (taking precautions against breakage, leakage, spillage and contamination).
· The liquid material that will be transported should be packaged in a vacuum, sealed, locked or adhesive bag so that it can contain the liquid and a protector. Any items that are at risk of leakage, spillage or contamination, such as cardboard/tin boxes, sacks, plastic bags or containers are not allowed on board in cabin baggage or free baggage.
• The amount of liquid that can be carried in your registered baggage (excluding water without additives) cannot exceed a maximum of 5 liters and each should be sealed in one-liter packages of a maximum of one liter.
· Check Turkish Airlines’ restrictions page for important information on baggage handling before travelling Sports equipment, music equipment and extra baggage
Sports Equipment, Music Equipment and Extra Baggage
· The Airline ensure that your sports gear gets to your destination for a reasonable price, and they even provide free carriage for the first set of equipment for many sports, including skiing and golf, on the first international flight. For more detailed information about sports equipment, you can visit Turkish Airlines’ sports equipment page.
· When free baggage allowance limit is exceeded, baggage is
considered to be extra baggage. You can purchase extra baggage
allowance via airlines’ online channels and sales offices.
Cabin Baggage or Carry-on Baggage
Turkish Airlines cabin baggage allowance has following conditions-
• The baggage you are carrying must be of a size and weight that can fit in the overhead locker or under the seat. Within the measurements of 23x40x55cm and 8 kg.
• For your safety, please prepare your baggage on your own or supervise the preparation. When preparing your luggage, take care to check that all boxes and packages in your baggage are shut and closed. Do not take any other objects from someone you don't know. You are advised to pay attention to these points for flight safety and your safety.
• Non-prohibited liquids such as perfume, deodorant, contact lens solutions should be carried in sizes less than 100 ml in original containers Container size over 100 ml cannot be carried in the cabin even if there is less liquid in them. In addition, all liquid containers in the form of 100 ml should be kept in a 1-liter zip-lock transparent bag. You can carry only one bag in the cabin.
• You can carry shaving foam and toothpaste in the cabin.
• If you are traveling with an infant, you can carry as much liquid or solid baby food as is required for your baby's needs during the flight
• You can carry respiratory devices apparatus in the cabin.
• You can carry your solid and liquid medicines in your cabin baggage if they are in the original packaging and there is a doctor's report stating that you should take the medicine with you.
• You can carry a lighter in an aircraft, provided it is in cabin baggage and not in the form of a weapon.
• You can carry make-up stuff, such as cream, lotion, mascara and lipstick in the cabin.
• You can carry tennis or squash racquet in the cabin if they are in a special bag.
Extra baggage Conditions
. You can find the binding legal conditions concerning your baggage on the General Conditions of Carriage and baggage Extra Baggage Terms and Conditions pages of Turkish Airlines’ official website. However following general rules apply for extra baggage-
• You must ensure that your free baggage allowance is shown on the ticket prior to the flight.
· On routes with piece baggage concept, the maximum weight of 1 piece of baggage is 23 kg for Economy Class and 32 kg for Business Class. A one piece baggage weighing 23 kg is checked-in as extra baggage both for Economy Class and for Business Class. On these routes, 80 USD will be charged per piece for extra baggage weighing between 23-32 kg
· Regardless of the weight and piece concept, a single piece of baggage cannot exceed 32 KG. Baggage that exceeds 32 KG must be divided and carried in two or more pieces.
· Student discount is not valid for extra baggage fee on Anadolu Jet flights. Baggage fees and rules may vary.
• You can purchase extra baggage by visiting extra baggage purchase page of Turkish Airlines’ website.
Additional/Access Baggage Fee
International Journeys Weight System
They have categorized all the destinations in different regions i.e region 1, 2, 3….. and so on. (for more details of the regions visit regions page)
While travelling to different regions charges per 5 km are as follows:
Region- 1 2 3 4 5
Turkey $30 $40 $40 $70 $95
Region- 1 $45 $70 $70 $70 $115
2 $70 $70 $80 $90 $125
3 $70 $80 $90 $105 $135
4 $85 $90 $105 $125 $150
5 $115 $125 $135 $150 $180
International Journeys Piece System:
Origin Place Charges
Turkish Airlines’ Cancellation Policy
Journeys may change anytime. You may need to cancel your ticket or change itinerary due to various circumstances. In such conditions you need not to worry as Turkish Airlines offers a generous cancellation and refund policy. Let’s know about it in detail-
· Under no circumstances is the ticketing service fee refunded.
Cancelations/refunds cannot be made to a ticket with less than 1 hour
remaining before departure.
· If the scheduled flight time is less than 1-12 hours away, cancellation/refund is not allowed.
· If time for the scheduled flight is more than 12 hours, passengers can cancel/refund the ticket with a TRY 200 penalty fee, and the remaining amount, minus the ticketing servicing fee, will be refunded. No refunds can be made to L/V/P/W/U classes. Cancellation/refund is not allowed for a ticket for TRNC-Ercan flights with less than 1 hour remaining before departure.
· If the scheduled flight time is less than 1-12 hours away, cancellation/refund is not allowed. If time for the scheduled flight is more than 12 hours, passengers can cancel/refund the ticket with a TRY 300 penalty fee.
· In case of no-show, ticket refunds cannot be made after the flight. Only landing charges are refunded.
· For flights that include connecting flights between Turkish Airlines and AnadoluJet, Turkish Airlines' cancelation/refund rules apply.
24 Hour Cancellation Policy of Turkish Airlines
If you need to cancel your Turkish Airlines flight within 24 hours after booking, this is possible. Cancellations in this category are eligible for a full refund. You can cancel your flight tickets for free under this category. You may easily place a cancellation request with Turkish Airlines and get a full refund if your ticket isn't published under the 24 hour cancellation policy of Turkish airlines. If a passenger wishes to cancel a ticket, they must do so within 24 hours after booking it and at least seven days before the scheduled departure date. Both passengers with non- refundable tickets and those with refundable tickets can cancel their tickets and get a full refund up to 24 hours before their scheduled departure. Others Conditions and Charges
In other circumstances, the airline may charge cancellation fee based on your route, ticket type or travel class. For example in Business class, travelers with restricted fares may be charged up to $400 cancellation fee. If you have booked a refundable ticket, you may get refund after deducting the cancellation fee.
How to Cancel Ticket
To cancel your ticket online simply go to my booking sections on the official website of the Turkish Airlines. Keep your ticket and all the required information with you while doing so.
Following are the steps to be followed to cancel a Turkish Airline ticket through offline mode-
· Find the official customer service phone number of Turkish Airlines, by visiting its official website
· Make a call on your regional Turkish Airlines phone number and follow the IVR instructions to talk to the customer service representative.
· Now, you have to share your booking number and other information to the customer care executive.
· Place a request for ticket cancelation.
· Soon, you will receive an email or SMS about the confirmation of your ticket cancelation
· If eligible, you will receive your refund within 48 to 72 hours of the refund request (after deducting all the charges).
· The refunded amount will be transferred only to the original mode of payment used while booking the ticket.